June 14, 2009

10% of Retail Value

If you could get something that was slightly used, but still in very good condition, and sometimes brand new for 10% of what that person paid for it... would you?

If anyone answered no to that question... stop reading.

I have some great friends who have spread the infatuation of Garage Sales to me. At first I was skeptical. With thoughts of, "I don't want to buy other people's junk." I might have even thought I was "too good" for that sort of thing.

But my first trip to a garage sale was a couple years ago. I was half awake and wanted a rice maker. What are the odds of finding a rice maker at a Garage Sale you ask? Well... evidently pretty good (although I still look and have yet to find another one). So the first place we went to, I found a BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED, rice maker. This rice maker (pictured below) sells for $24.99 at Target. I got it for $1, yep one dollar. That is 4% of the retail value... or if you like to think in terms of Discounts... How about seeing a sign that says 94% off... would you buy it... So I say this because some people at Garage Sales do not realize how to price or sell their "treasures". They put way too high a price on their valuables, adding their emotional value on their items. My dear friend said multiple times over this weekend when she saw things were overpriced "10% of the retail value (or what you paid for it)" is what people should sell things for. I completely agree with her.

I love telling people about the treasures that I find at garage sales and seeing their surprise about the quality of it. I love knowing that I saved a ton of money by purchasing things that I needed at a 90% discount! It is the joy of the hunt that keeps me coming back for more. Below are two pictures of the treasures that I found yesterday!

Not exactly what mine looks like, but very close. Walmart - $269, Garage Sale - $20 = 7% of price.

3-Cup French Press Brand-New (exactly the same as what I got), Target - $24.99, Garage Sale - $1 = 4%... YES!

3 comments:

DeMo said...

I think I need to go garage sale-ing in Colorado. Or just recruit you to get up early and do my shopping for me. :) Good finds! My best so far is a camping chair (the kind that folds up into the bag) for $1.

Suz said...

Seriously, CO is the BEST place I've ever been for garage sales because it's such a transient community. I LOVE it! And I'm so glad I was with you when you found these treasures. Let's go again!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenn...you're so totally cool. You're doing such a great job on your finds. One of these days we'll do a workshop on "how to REALLY price things" at garage sales. Maybe you could market my expertise? :) We had a good day yesterday and grabbed some good finds. Such fun. Have a great trip home!!
love,
aunt E